HCM City, Dec 8, 2007. AmCham – United Way Committee Chairman Jim Andrew announced grant awards to community service (charitable) organizations in support of education, health and wellness, and AmCham Scholarships to students of the Vietnam National University in Ho Chi Minh City, in a ceremony held at the New World Hotel Saigon on Saturday, December 8, 2007.
In summary, The AmCham-United Way Committee priorities are to support and help develop
- Education in Vietnam
- Health and Wellness
- Disaster Relief
And to create an organization that gives responsibility to Vietnamese staff of AmCham member companies and partner organizations in HCM City, to be personally involved in raising funds and deciding on how to allocate the funds in accordance with the established priorities.
In particular, the AmCham-United Way Committee supports smaller Vietnamese NGOs in the Ho Chi Minh City area and southern Vietnam that may not have easy access to large international foundation grants.
Click these links to see our activities
|.||2006-2007 AmCham-United Way Activities – Photo Album 1|
|.||2006-2007 AmCham-United Way Activities – Photo Album 2|
|.||2006-2007 AmCham-United Way Activities – Video Photo Album|
The AmCham-United Way Committee has approved the following projects to receive funding.
- Nhon Hoa Charity Committee – to renovate the charity kitchen in Hoc Mon District
- Can Phu Hoa Center for Elderly & Disabled – to build living quarters for patients with drug-resistant-TB.
- HCMC Support Center for Orphans and Street Children – for scholarships for poor and disadvantaged university students, and equipment to support musical education for disadvantaged children.
- Thien An Shelter – computer course for blind and low vision students
- Acupuncture Charity Clinic in District 3 – medical equipment
- Huynh De Nhu Nghia Center for the Blind – support 4 blind college students for further education
- Bao Hoa Charity Committee – Set up a new charity kitchen for free meals for poor patients in Tan Thanh Hospital, Long An Province
- June 1st School – provide health and education support for disadvantaged girls
- Social Worker Club – capacity building for social workers network (in support of street children)
- Binh Trieu Phat Huy Center, Thu Duc District (Friends for Street Children) for improving health of children at Binh Trieu Development Center Shelter
- Binh Loi Social Organization – Computer course and English course for disadvantaged children
In addition to these grants, AmCham awarded an additional $ 14,000 to university students through the AmCham Scholarship Program. The scholarship application and selection process, managed by AmCham Human Resource Committee members, who are HR managers at AmCham member companies, helps Vietnamese students that are in their final year of university prepare and transition from the world of study to the world of employment with international companies. This project, launched in 2001 and now in its seventh year, is a partnership with the Vietnam National University of Ho Chi Minh City.
Moreover, AmCham-United Way supported member companies Cargill Vietnam, Citibank N.A., and MAST Industries (Far East), with their additional contributions of $ 106,800 through Donor Advised Giving for projects in Vietnam including My An C Elementary School in Cho Moi, An Giang Province; Ngoc Chuc Primary School in Giong Rieng District, Kien Giang Province; Hoa Duc Kindergarten in Lam Ha District, Lam Dong Province; scholarships for top business students in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City; and 100 clean-water wells for poor families in Ca Mau Province.
AmCham-United Way’s total community support in 2007 totals $ 197,460, based on the cooperation with AmCham member companies, and funds raised through the AmCham Governors Ball and the Nike Apparel Sale for Charity.
Please click this link for more information about the AmCham-United Way Committee and how you can get involved.