Education and Training Committee Innovation Sub Group:
Emphasis should be to assist with goals the Vietnamese Government already sees as important, but perhaps add some goals if needed.
1. Identify goals the Vietnamese government has already outlined which AmCham members believe they can help with.
2. Identify potential goals that AmCham members feel are important but have not been addressed by the Vietnamese government.
3. Provide assistance in identifying (and strategies to overcome) barriers to the goals noted above. I would suggest a “barriers to innovation” approach.
The notes for the last meeting are as follows:
- Focus on assisting in CHANGES the government hopes to achieve, but encountering barriers
- Use of Online Education
- Critical thinking
- Problem solving
- Academic Autonomy
- Important to include all actors involved in education, not just teachers.
- Parents and the administration have to see there is a benefit to changeChildren can have greater access higher education and jobs with an innovative education system.
- Can be the driver of all innovation.
- Vietnamese institutions need a strategy towards online education because that is where things are moving in the world.
- Online education shouldn’t be synchronous. Not trying to replicate what happens in a traditional classroom. Online education should aim for an asynchronous system.
Possible approaches to action and advocacy
- AmCham should not try to change content. Teach what you want but try to do it in the best possible way in terms of efficiency and access.
- Online education
- Should be a part of “main stream” tier 1 schools to demonstrate online courses can provide equal learning results to the traditional learning environment.
- Online can also focus on increasing access to people away from the big cities in Vietnam.
- Start having it as an additional free option so that teachers, students, parents and policy makers start seeing how it works and its benefits.
- Online courses need a “stamp of approval” for people to value them (show which companies support hiring students who studied some course online)
- Make links to big corporations could help to push it Example: MOOC on critical thinking funded by firms promoted by AmCham