Q1: Why do AmCham, Intel Products Vietnam, Coca-Cola Vietnam and Axcela Vietnam establish the AmCham’s Women in Engineering scholarship, which dedicates for female students?
A1:The scholarship aims to increase the quantity and quality of human resources in high-technology sector, which has strong developing potential in Vietnam. This is the first scholarship for women in engineering jointly collaborated by AmCham and Intel. The scholarship’s purposes are to support female students financially; and also, encourage and motivate them to study and pursue careers in engineering area that female student ratio is still limited. Intel, Coca-Cola, Axcela and AmCham hope in the upcoming years, there will be many more companies joining this scholarship.
Q2: Why does the scholarship merely focus on specific universities and faculties/departments?
A2: We target specific universities according to partners’ human resource demands. There is an expansion in 2018 program when we doubles the number of partner universities. We hope in the next few years, the scholarship program will be able to extend to more universities and technical departments when we receive more support from other companies.
Q3: Is this an annual scholarship?
A3: Intel Products Vietnam, Axcela Vietnam and AmCham hope the AmCham’s Women in Engineering Scholarship will be a long-term program. Simultaneously, we are calling for companies and entrepreneurs to join this program in order to reduce the gender inequality, which is a common issue at Vietnam’s technical universities. From 2014, we had Axcela Vietnam join as English Test Sponsor for our program.
Q4: What are the benefits of the scholarship?
A4: Awarded female students will be provided with financial support (VND 8.000.000 in cash and VND 6,000,000 valued English course). At the same time, female students will have internships and careers opportunities at Intel Products Vietnam, if applicable.
One new thing about this year program is that all students who successfully pass the Screening Round would take part in English test to learn more about their English Skill to have proper plan to advance their English. This round would not eliminate any candidate so do not be afraid of it.
Q5: Who is eligible to apply?
a/ Official full time FEMALE bachelor degree students at their last two academic years at one of these TEN following universities and faculties/departments/majors:
1. Bach Khoa University
• Faculty of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
• Faculty of Computer Science & Engineering
• Faculty of Mechanical Engineering (except for Textiles Industry)
2. Ho Chi Minh City University of Technical Education
• Faculty of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
• Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
3. Ton Duc Thang University
• Faculty of Electrical & Electronics Engineering
• Faculty of Information Technology
4. International University – Vietnam National University HCMC
• School of Electrical Engineering
• School of Computer Science and Engineering
• Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering
5. Vietnamese – German University
• Mechanical Engineering
• Electrical Engineering and Information Technology
6. Ho Chi Minh City University of Information Technology
• Faculty of Computer Engineering
• Faculty of Software Engineering
7. Posts and Telecommunications Institute of Technology, Ho Chi Minh City
•Faculty of Information Technology
• Faculty of Telecommunications and Electronics Engineering
• Faculty of Electronics, Electrical Engineering
8. Ho Chi Minh City University of Science
• Faculty of Information Technology
9. Ho Chi Minh University of Industry
• Faculty of Electrical Technology
• Faculty of Electronic Technology
• Faculty of Mechanical Technology
10. Eastern International University
• Faculty of Engineering and Technology
b/Having cumulative GPA of all previous years 6.5 or above
c/ Active in community services and extra-curricula activities
d/ Not being employed by other companies including Intel Products Vietnam and Axcela Vietnam
e/ Repeated candidates are welcome
Q6: How to apply for the scholarship?
1. Application form:
• Fill in application form (form to be typed, not writen, in Excel format). Download application form HERE.
2. PDF Scanned Certificates:
• A scanned copy of your official cumulative GPA Certificate (with school stamp or notarized certificate. You don’t need to translate your GPA transcript into English)
• Any certificate of participation/award certificate,… mentioned in your application form
Email the application form and documents to [email protected] with subject NAME_UNIVERSITY. Please remember to sign your name, contact details and school in your email.
Q7: What are the selection steps and important dates?
A7: Take notice ;)
Application Form Open: May 18, 2017
Deadline for Application: 10:00 PM June 11 2017
Application Results: June 14, 2017
English Test & Interview Day: June 24-25, 2017
Final Result Announcement: July 01, 2017
Award Ceremony: July 07, 2017
Q8: Will awarded students be entitled to work at Intel Products Vietnam?
A8: This is not true. Awarded students will have more opportunities to access its internships and employments. If you want to work at Intel, you will have to go through normal recruiting process. However, remember that scholars will definitely be recognized by Intel and thus have a plus point in the recruitment. Moreover, Intel is orienting to improve diversity in their workforce so this is a great chance for female students like you.
Q9: Are there any mandatory requirements for students receiving the scholarship? Can scholarship recipients previous years apply for the scholarship in upcoming years?
A9: There are no mandatory requirements for the scholarship holders. The scholarship recipients can use the financial support at their discretion. Students who are awarded the scholarship in previous years are still welcomed in the following years as long as they meet all the requirement of the program.
Q10: Can students who already applied for the AmCham Scholarship apply for the “AmCham Women in Engineering Scholarship” of the same year?
A10: Students are welcome to apply for the two scholarships at the same time. However, we recommend students to consider carefully the schedules of two scholarships, so that they can have good preparation for testing rounds and interview days.
Q11: After reading all the scholarship requirements, I really want to apply for this scholarship. But there is a problem in that my academic performance (GPA) in the second year is less than 6.5. However, my cumulative GPA for all previous years is more than 6.5. So, today I send you a message to ask about my problem that if I can apply this scholarship or not? Also, do you have any exception for this case?
A11:This is a question of English comprehension, about the meaning of “cumulative GPA of ALL previous years” and “cumulative GPA of EACH previous year.”
The guideline states: “Having cumulative GPA of ALL previous years 6.5 or above.”
Now, we calculate the “cumulative GPA of ALL previous years” as follows (example):
Year #1: GPA = 7.5 with 40 credits
Year #2: GPA = 6.0 with 50 credits
Year #3: GPA = 8.1 with 60 credits
Total ALL Previous Years (Yrs 1, 2, 3): (7.5*40)+(6.0*50)+(8.1*60) = 1086
Avg ALL Previous Years (Yrs 1, 2, 3): 1086 / (40+50+60) = 7.24 > 6.5
Now, this calculation shows that the student’s cumulative GPA of ALL previous years is greater than 6.5, even though one year’s GPA was less than 6.5, so the student is eligible to apply for the AmCham’s Women in Engineering Scholarship.
Q12: I finished all my courses at university but I have not graduated yet. Am I eligible for this scholarship?
A12: You are definitely eligible in 2017 program.
Click here to return to AmCham’s Women in Engineering Scholarship 2017