Jonathan L. Moreno
General Director, Medovations Vietnam
Jonathan is the General Director of Medovations Vietnam, a wholly-owned FDI subsidiary of one of the world’s leading medical device companies specializing in gastrointestinal diagnostic equipment. Medovations opened its Vietnam manufacturing operation in Binh Duong, December 2010, representing the “third wave” of US high technology investment in Vietnam.
Prior to being selected by Medovations to lead its Vietnam operation, Jonathan was President of an organization founded by David M. Beasley, former South Carolina Governor (1995-1999), specializing in market entrance strategies for small and medium sized companies seeking to engage emerging markets throughout Eastern Europe, North Africa, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia. In this capacity, Jonathan first travelled to Vietnam in 2006, and became enthusiastic about its opportunities and navigating its challenges. In 2007, Jonathan was asked to speak about Vietnam as an emerging trading partner at the South Carolina International Trade Conference.
Jonathan helped form AmCham’s Manufacturing Committee and currently serves as its Board Liaison. The Committee was established to increase the value of AmCham membership for its manufacturing sector members, including the supporting supply chain, by providing networking opportunities and collaborative solutions which could not be achieved as effectively by individual member companies. The committee has enjoyed a great start with more than 40 AmCham manufacturing leaders having participated in its monthly meetings. Initiatives have included:
• A briefing on Intel’s E-customs solution
• Informal networking/after-work cocktail gatherings
• The development of a Position Paper submitted to Vietnam Customs regarding effective e-customs implementation
• Vietnam policy reviews such as Decree 46, Minimum Wage Roadmap to “Living Wage” (Art 56-57), and Tax Law Art. 42 regarding treatment of import tax on imported materials to be used in manufacturing for export
Vision for AmCham
Jonathan’s primary interest is in building on the Manufacturing Committee’s first year foundation by:
1. Continuing to advocate win-win solutions with the Vietnamese Government on issues critical to AmCham manufacturing companies;
2. Broadening AmCham’s base of support through the addition of more active manufacturing companies;
3. Supporting the Manufacturing Committee’s goal of hosting its first AmCham Supplier Day, whereby AmCham members have the opportunity to meet qualified/local supporting industries;
4. Facilitating additional Foreign Corrupt Practice Act (FCPA) compliance training for AmCham members and supporting partners;
5. Being a business ambassador for visiting US delegations exploring investment in Vietnam
In addition to achieving Sandhill’s business objectives, Jonathan, his family (wife: Ashley, children: AJ, Drew, and Anna), and Sandhill Inc., are highly committed to working alongside their local staff and community leaders to develop key community service initiatives. They view Vietnam as more than a manufacturing destination but an opportunity to contribute to the country’s health, educational, and societal growth.
Posted: Oct 28, 2012; Updated: May 3, 2015