To enable a safe international reopening and recovery of the Tourism & Hospitality sector in Vietnam.
2021 Strategic Plan
Top Priorities for 2021
- Act as trusted advisor providing business intelligence for meetings with relevant Government leaders and organizations to enable fast-track safe border openings to drive recovery in the tourism and hospitality sectors.
- Promote programs to continue to attract and develop talent in the tourism and hospitality sector, working with universities and hospitality schools.
- Unify advocacy across three chapters to increase visibility, clarity in message and add credibility when meeting with government authorities.
- Coordinate with other AmChams of the Asia Pacific (AAP) Tourism and Hospitality committees to learn best practices among regional governments and AmChams to support the industry and enable a safe reopening to international travel.
Key Events for 2021
- Tourism, Hospitality, and Education showcases to be targeted for mid-2021 subject to Government guidelines for large-scale gatherings.
- Monthly updates to members from the key relevant industries and other AmCham committees about the current Covid-19 status and roadmap to reopen (consider update format whether via email or hybrid/virtual meetings, given current status of industry furloughs)
Top Advocacy Issues
- Provide recommendations to Vietnam Tourism Advisory Board, Vietnam Business Forum, and government leadership on regulatory changes and amendments to government guidelines pertaining to Tourism & Hospitality to enable a safe reopening to international travel and drive recovery of the sector.
- Partner with other chambers, business associations, tourism associations to drive recovery. “Investing in Vietnam” – Contribute ideas to destination-marketing initiatives to drive recovery.
- Contribute to, and participate in, key committees such as Logistics and Supply Chain, and Healthcare, which are critical supply chains for the T&H industries sharing business intelligence.
Peter T. Meyer, Chief Executive Officer, Lodgis Hospitality Holdings
Peter T. Meyer is the CEO of Lodgis Hospitality Holdings (“Lodgis”), where he is responsible for the overall management andstrategic direction of the the overall management and strategic direction of the business.
Formed in late 2016 through a joint venture between Warburg Pincus and VinaCapital, Lodgis is a fully integrated hospitality investment platform, targeting the development, acquisition, and management of hospitality assets in Vietnam and Southeast Asia.
Lodgis was initially seeded with approximately $300 million of capital commitments with best-in-class hospitality assets, including the Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi (The Metropole) along with Fusion Hotels & Resorts, a leading Vietnam hoteloperating company with locally recognized brands. Over the past 3 years, Lodgis has significantly grown its portfolio with over 15 projects in operation or under development in key gateway cities and international tourist destinations across the Indochina region.
Previously, Peter was Managing Director – Asia Pacific for Host Hotel & Resorts. During his tenure from 2008 to 2016, he lead the acquisition and development of over USD700 million of hotels in Australia, New Zealand and India.
Between 2003 and 2008, he was the Group Executive Vice President for New City Corporation (NCC), a Tokyo-basedproperty investment management and development company. Peter also served as the Chief Operating Officer to NCC’sassociate company CB Richard Ellis Investors Japan. In these capacities, he was actively involved in the group’s capitalraisings, including the public listing of New City Residence Investment Corporation, a residential J-REIT.
Chris Vanloon, General Director, Riverside Tower Commercial Center
Chris Vanloon first came to Vietnam in 1998 when the Furama Resort Danang opened, the first five-star resort in the country. After leaving Furama, he moved on to Property Management in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, working as a consultant and later becoming the Head of Property Management in Hanoi for Chesterton Petty (later merged and rebranded as Savills). He built up a portfolio of projects for Chesterton, from high-end luxury apartment buildings to mixed-use commercial properties. He also worked heavily in development advisory, reviewing land usage plans, and collaborating with project owners to assist in design layout and functionality of several buildings in the Hanoi skyline today.
Chris stepped away from property development and became the Director of Northern Operations for Destination Asia. In this role, he oversaw the daily operations of high-end luxury travel and incentive business, and spent a great deal of time travelling to Europe, the United States, and Canada, to promote Vietnam as a destination for foreign travellers.
Returning to property, Chris helped start New Peaks JSC, where he was the Managing Director overseeing the establishment of the company and its direction in areas of property development and advisory. At the same time, Chris helped found the property services company Viethomecare in Da Nang. Then, Chris became the General Director for Indochina Riverside Towers and Riverside Tower Commercial Center in Da Nang.
Chris has a background in Management and Marketing from Boston College. He served in the United States Navy. Chris’ diverse background in Vietnam and passion to develop Da Nang allows him to contribute unique strengths to AmCham Vietnam and its members.
Ken Atkinson, Founder and Senior Board Adviser, Grant Thornton Vietnam
Ken Atkinson is Founder and Senior Board Adviser at Grant Thornton Vietnam, one of the world’s top multinational companies that provide independent assurance, tax, and advisory services. He is also a member of the board of British Business Group Vietnam (BBGV), an accredited British Chamber of Commerce operating in Vietnam. Prior to Grant Thornton, Ken worked in banking and financial services across Finland, Hong Kong and England.
Emelie Braun Cruickshank, Corporate Sales Manager, Lotte Hotel Saigon
2022 Meeting Schedule
The Committee meeting is organised monthly and open for members only.
2021 Meeting Schedule
Please contact us if you have questions at [email protected]