The first step in the creation of a sustainable product index will be a survey of Wal-Mart’s 100,000 global suppliers. The survey is divided into four areas: energy and climate, material efficiency, natural resources and people and community. Following are the questions, which top-tier suppliers are being asked to answer by Oct. 1, 2009.
Energy and Climate
1. Have you measured your corporate greenhouse gas emissions?
2. Have you opted to report your greenhouse gas emissions to the Carbon Disclosure Project?
3. What is your total annual greenhouse gas emissions reported in the most recent year measured?
4. Have you set publicly available greenhouse gas reduction targets? If yes, what are those targets?
1. If measured, please report the total amount of solid waste generated from the facilities that produce your product(s) for Wal-Mart for the most recent year measured.
2. Have you set publicly available solid waste reduction targets? If yes, what are those targets?
3. If measured, please report total water use from facilities that produce your product(s) for Wal-Mart for the most recent year measured.
4. Have you set publicly available water use reduction targets? If yes, what are those targets?
1. Have you established publicly available sustainability purchasing guidelines for your direct suppliers that address issues such as environmental compliance, employment practices and product/ingredient safety?
2. Have you obtained third-party certifications for any of the products that you sell to Wal-Mart?
People and Community
1. Do you know the location of 100% of the facilities that produce your product(s)?
2. Before beginning a business relationship with a manufacturing facility, do you evaluate the quality of, and capacity for, production?
3. Do you have a process for managing social compliance at the manufacturing level?
4. Do you work with your supply base to resolve issues found during social compliance evaluations and also document specific corrections and improvements?
5. Do you invest in community development activities in the markets you source from and/or operate within?