Contribute to Vietnam’s sustainable development by serving as a resource for business intelligence and best practices in sustainability, and advocating for improved ESG standards and regulatory framework.
- Environment: circularity; climate risk, carbon accounting, carbon neutrality/net- zero targets and related policies; renewable energy; responsible sourcing; conservation and biodiversity;
- Social: labor rights, standards, and ethical supply chains; gender equality; diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA); community/NGO partnerships; and,
- Governance: board structure and diversity; transparency; sustainable finance; ethical conduct; risk management; and sustainability
2022 Strategic Plan
Top Priorities for 2022
The Committee will serve as a forum for AmCham members and the wider Vietnamese business community to:
- Distill relevant national and global standards, regulations, and laws related to ESG in Vietnam
- Share experience with best practices globally and in Vietnam on ESG and sustainability issues
- Catalyze our work on sustainability issues by coordinating with other AmCham committees and business chambers/associations
(Examples: AmCham’s Women in Leadership, Manufacturing, Human Resources, Legal, Energy, and Capital Markets and Financial Services Committees; VBCSD/VCCI; HAWEE; VBCWE; VIOD; VAWE)
- Liaise with relevant government stakeholders about ESG-related issues and policy in coordination with AmCham advocacy panel and leadership (Examples: MoNRE, VBF, USAID, and U.S. Commercial Service)
- Amplify the committee’s priority issues through regular contact with media
Key Events for 2022
- Responsible Business Event (Danang/Hoi An) – June 2022
- Annual thought leadership events (E, S, G) – May-October 2022 such as:
- Corporate Governance in Vietnam – May 2022
- Other possible topics: sustainable finance; carbon neutrality and renewable energy; sustainable tourism; diversity, equality, and inclusion in business
- Giving Thanks Dinner and AmCham ESG Awards
- Announcement of criteria: April 2022
- Applications open: August/September 2022
- Judging Process: October 2022
Top Advocacy Issues for 2022
- Improving environmental standards in business in Vietnam by:
- Providing feedback on policies and regulations related to issues such as extended producer responsibility (EPR) and reducing greenhouse gas emissions and
- Highlighting technical solutions and services to help Vietnam assess climate risk, advance environmental commitments and goals on carbon neutrality, reducing waste and pollution, and clean energy
- Progress on improving social standards in business related to:
- Labor rights and standards, ethical and responsible supply chain management especially for businesses interested in exporting to the US
- Diversity, equity and inclusion and gender empowerment initiatives
- Advocating for a better balance between access to funding for ESG-compliant projects and the strict criteria imposed by foreign funding institutions
- Strengthening corporate governance standards e.g. board structure and leadership
Van Ly, Partner & Consultant, Raise Partners
Van is a partner at Raise Partners, a new collaborative consulting practice bringing together expertise to share with organizations that contribute to the betterment of humanity. She has 20 years of experience working in both the private sector in branding and communications and the nonprofit sector in fundraising, communications, and program management. In particular, she has extensive experience in nonprofit fundraising and program strategy, strategic marketing and communications planning and delivery, grant writing, corporate social responsibility and citizenship, and donor and stakeholder engagement.
Van has a master’s degree in Southeast Asian Studies from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a bachelor’s degree in International Studies from American University in Washington D.C.
Keith Schulz, Chief Sustainability Officer & Chief Industrial Officer, Motul Asia Pacific
|Vice Chair for Sustainable Finance Sub-Committee
Binh Le, Founder & CEO, ASART
Binh is Founder and CEO of ASART, a leading independent and boutique advisory M&A firm in Vietnam, with a focus on strategic synergies and investment returns.
For over the last 12 years she has been working intensively with M&A transactions and strategic projects for both sell-side and buy-side. Previously, she worked at KPMG. Binh has built an unique set of experience and track record with a combined knowledge in M&A, finance, strategy, valuation, structure, commercial performance, accounting, tax, legal, reporting, problem solving, executive negotiation, politics, government relations, and advocacy. Her current work is the optimal combination of these areas of expertise, with emphasis on value creation and sustainable growth.
She has assisted and advised leading Vietnamese companies and multinational corporations in various industries, with 110+ projects and 230+ companies for a total value of USD3.6+ billion, directly with board of directors and shareholders.
She has an MBA from Indiana University and Purdue University (IPFW, USA) and a Bachelor Degree in Commerce with Distinction from RMIT (Vietnam).
Cong Vu, Director, Head of ESG, VinaCapital
Cong Vu is an environmental scientist and fund manager focusing on circular economy model with more than 13 years of experience working on sustainability issues for businesses in Vietnam. He is particularly interested in exploring ways enterprises can benefit and create added values from implementing sustainable practices by reducing production costs and minimizing wastes.
Cong has a proven track record in Carbon business and sustainability issues. At the moment, he is working for VinaCapital, a leading investment manager in Vietnam. Here, Cong has founded and managed the VinaCarbon Climate Impact Fund which develops business and invests in companies with circular economy initiatives to reduce Greenhouse gases and generate carbon credits. Previously working for global consultancy ERM, Cong built up and managed a strong team of 12 talented environmental scientists and biologists.
Cong holds a master’s degree of Environmental Management from Flinders University and an engineer’s degree in Environmental Technology and Management from Hanoi University of Science and Technology.
Anh Mai, Manager, Impact and ESG services, KPMG Tax and Advisory Limited
Mimi Vu, Partner, Raise Partners
Greg’s thirty-year career in international Corporate & Investment Banking spans four continents and all of the world’s major banking centers and capital markets. After training at JP Morgan Chase’s New York headquarters and in Europe, he worked seventeen years with Banco Santander throughout Europe, Asia, and Latin America, including as Chief Executive and Country Manager of Santander’s bank in Japan – with responsibility for Southeast Asian markets – and Chief Executive for Santander’s Miami branch, responsible for correspondent banking, trade finance, and structured trade throughout Latin America. He spent nine years as Treasurer and Senior Managing Director of Capital Markets for the Foreign Trade Bank of Latin America (“Bladex”), a supranational development bank. Throughout his banking career, Greg has specialized in building new businesses, and turning around challenged ones.
Madame Ha Thu Thanh, Chairperson, Deloitte Vietnam
Madame Ha Thu Thanh is the Chairperson and one of the founders of Deloitte Vietnam –the largest Consulting Firm in the world and in Vietnam. With 38 years of experience, including 8 years working for MOF, and more than 30 years working for Deloitte Vietnam with 24 years in role of the leader, she is highly appreciated for her great contribution and pioneering in the development of the profession of accounting and auditing.
Through dedicated activities in organizations and associations, Madame Thanh takes the leading role in actions for developing business community as well as contributing to the socio-economic development of the country, promoting economic, trade, science, and technology cooperation with countries in the region. Holding the key roles in in several organizations, she has a large communicating network with various economic sectors and business associations nationwide as well as foreign ones.
Madame Thanh has the strong connection and support from senior government officials of Government Agencies including Ministry of Finance (MOF), Ministry of Planning and Investment (MPI), Government Offices…
Madame Thanh is highly regarded as a trusted keynote speaker and inspiration for many business forums and conferences, as well as a consultant/senior coach for many large groups in Vietnam. She was voted as one of the “50 most influential women in Vietnam” by Forbes and awarded the “Asia Pacific Entrepreneur Award” by Enterprise Asia in 2017 and 2019.
She is a longtime member, great supporter of AmCham Hanoi, and looks forward to continuing her service to support strongly for AmCham members in Vietnam.
Kasia Weina, Co-Founder, Director, Evergreen Labs
Dr. Kasia Weina has extensive experience and education in research and project management. She has a bachelor’s in biology and chemistry from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, an MS in pharmaceutical drug discovery from the University College London, and a PhD in Molecular Biology (cancer and stem cell research) from the University of Heidelberg, Germany.
Kasia has worked in laboratories in different countries, including the Great Lakes Water Institute, University of Wisconsin-Madison (NIH), a biotech firm in the Cambridge area, and the German Cancer Research Center in Heidelberg, Germany. After her PhD and a Postdoc period, she pivoted her career to sustainable development and social entrepreneurship in Asia and frontier markets. In 2015 she co-founded her first startup focused on designing and producing eco-friendly products in Hong Kong, before moving to Vietnam in early 2016 to co-found Evergreen Labs.
As the director of Evergreen Labs (a solution-driven social and environmental project, development organization, and social venture builder), Kasia oversees daily operations, including idea validation and innovation and technology within the experimentation branch, while applying a scientific approach to sustainable business development. In the past five years, she has co-developed two social business spinoffs and grown the advisory branch. To date, Evergreen Labs has worked and scaled innovations in Vietnam, Myanmar, Lao PDR, Indonesia, and Thailand. Kasia focuses on: solid waste management, agriculture value chain, and sustainability management. She has managed projects for a variety of notable clients including ADB, MBI, IDH, GIZ and IUCN.
Kasia has published 10 papers in international journals, co-authored work with UNDP, and has been featured in South China Morning Post. In 2020 she received the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee’s Graduate of the Last Decade Award. Kasia still supports labs in Germany with research paper publications in peer-reviewed journals and has supported research projects at VN-UK University of Danang, Vietnam.
2023 Meeting Schedule
The Committee meeting is organised monthly, on the second Thursday of each month and open for members only.
2022 Meeting Schedule
The Committee meeting is organised monthly, on the second Thursday of each month and open for members only.
2021 Meeting Schedule
Reference Materials for Public
Reference Materials for Members
Please contact us if you have questions at [email protected]